[libcamera-devel] Interested in learning

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Thu May 2 12:06:59 CEST 2019

Hello,

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 10:30:25PM -0700, terrible apps wrote:
> Hello,
>  I am a beginner in C/C++, but I am interested in learning it. I learn by
> applying things, is there any way I could help libcamera's efforts and also
> learn about cameras and C/C++?
>
> I would probably start out simple and small and go from there.
>
> I have done work with cameras, but mostly in Python using openCV and PiCamera.

Thank you for your interest in libcamera. The project is growing fast
and lots of work remains to be done, so help is certainly welcome.
Please however note that, due to the rapid development, there are few
small and easy tasks to perform, so it might not be the best project to
learn C++, especially if you have no prior C knowledge.

This being said, if you want to try hacking on libcamera, one option
would be to start at the GUI level in the qcam application, and see if
you find an itch to scratch there. Please note that we are quite busy
with libcamera development in general, so we may have limited time to
review external contributions.

Another option would be to start with C code on the kernel side. We have
recently run into a limitation of the vimc driver that doesn't support
capturing multiple streams in parallel, and we would love this to be
fixed as vimc is used in the libcamera test cases.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart