[libcamera-devel] Mandatory camera properties

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Thu Aug 20 15:44:23 CEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 01:36:33PM +0000, Umang Jain wrote:
> Hi Niklas,
>
> A few thoughts below,
>
> On 8/20/20 12:53 PM, Niklas Söderlund wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While reading the hot-plug series and with my recent work on
> > user-friendly names discussions on camera properties have been touch
> > upon. Before working on adding a check to disallow registering a camera
> > that does not have all these properties I think it's a good idea we
> > agree on which ones are mandatory.
>
> Yes, most of it sounds in the right direction.
> However, I think adding a check to disallow registering a camera
> that doesn't have mandatory properties, might be a bit harsh, no?

I think it's indeed a bit harsh. From a development point of view, being
able to register a camera before all properties are in place is useful.
Requiring a 100% complete implementation of a pipeline handler before
anything can be tested wouldn't be developer-friendly. I'd rather catch
this with a compliance tool.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart