[libcamera-devel] libcamera as non-root

Kieran Bingham kieran.bingham at ideasonboard.com
Tue Dec 29 21:31:27 CET 2020

Hi Erik,

On 29/12/2020 18:31, Erik Sohns wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question for the list.
>
> I am trying to integrate libcamera into my Linux application.
> I am making some progress and am enumerating the existing devices on my
> system. It turns out, however, that no devices are found when I am not
> root. Is there a way around this ? Also, the qcam and cam programs only
> seem to work when the user is root.
>
> Any ideas ? Please answer directly, I am not a subscriber of the list.

You'll likely need to add your user account to the 'video' group

  $ sudo usermod -aG video $USER
  $ newgrp video

The newgrp command adds the group to your current session, but you'll
probably just want to log out and back in again completely to make sure
it takes effect.

Hope this helps, do let us know what you're integrating libcamera into -
it's interesting to know where the library gets used.

--
Regards