[libcamera-devel] libcamera transform control

David Plowman david.plowman at raspberrypi.com
Tue Jul 21 11:19:30 CEST 2020

Hi again

Replying again to my own discussion (I seem to be making a habit of this...)

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 at 08:59, David Plowman
<david.plowman at raspberrypi.com> wrote:

> Hi Laurent, Naush and everyone!
>
> Thanks for all the discussion while I was away!
>
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 23:27, Laurent Pinchart
> <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Naush,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 09:16:19AM +0100, Naushir Patuck wrote:
> > > Hi Laurent,
> > >
> > > David is away this week, so I'll reply with some thoughts and comments
> > > in his absence.

> > > That would work.  However, I do struggle to see what would require an
> > > application to change the orientation on a per-frame basis.  In
> > > particular, if the change in orientation requires a transpose
> > > operation, then the buffer sizing might also change due to alignment
> > > constraints, and these would almost certainly require a set of buffer
> > > re-allocations unless you pre-allocate for the largest possible size.
> > > Of course, that is not to say that there may be other controls that
> > > can only be set on startup (I cannot think of any specific ones right
> > > now).
> >
> > While we could in theory support a change of rotation at runtime
> > (assuming the kernel drivers and APIs would let us do so), I don't think
> > that would be particularly valuable. The main use case I could image
> > would be flipping the image horizontally, a.k.a. mirroring, for video
> > conferencing use cases where the user may want to enable or disable
> > mirroring for the local display.  One could however argue that platforms
> > used for video conferencing with a local display would likely have a GPU
> > that would handle the composition, making mirroring easy to implement on
> > the display side, but there could be other similar use cases on less
> > powerful platforms. We could force a stop/start sequence in that case,
> > but are there drawbacks in allowing this to be changed at runtime ?
>
> To me it seems a reasonable compromise to go with the standard Control
> mechanism, but perhaps to add a flag indicating whether you have to
> apply the control _before_ starting the camera, or whether you can
> apply it after. As Naush says, it could get quite hairy trying to do
> it in the sensor, or if you had an inline ISP that was doing it, and
> figuring out which frame after the request would actually have the
> change might be awkward.

I wanted to add a couple of further comments to this. Quite commonly,
transforms may be implemented in the sensor. This means that whenever
you set or change the transform, the pixel format of the raw stream
may change too. In fact I've already seen this kind of problem - under
some circumstances the Bayer order recorded in qcam's DNG files can be
wrong.

So we need to consider the interaction of the transform control with
the raw stream format. Specifically:

* If we change the transform at run time, are we prepared for the raw
stream format to change spontaneously? Would requests have to contain
metadata saying what the pixel format of the raw stream was for that
capture?

* We've talked about passing an initial ControlList into either the
configure or start method. Whichever approach one takes, you've got to
be careful about exactly when the raw stream pixel format may or may
nor be correct.

All this keeps nudging me back to an initial thought that the
transform should be a bona fide field in the stream configuration. You
set it before calling configure, and it never changes. All these
problems simply disappear.

Thoughts?

Thanks! (and sorry for being awkward...)
David