[libcamera-devel] Initial settings for camera exposure and analogue gain

David Plowman david.plowman at raspberrypi.com
Tue Jun 9 16:00:49 CEST 2020

Hi

I'd like to discuss the question of being able to set a sensor's initial
exposure time and analogue gain before the sensor is started by calling the
Camera::start method. Currently I believe this is not possible; they can
only be adjusted in the ControlList passed with a Request.

This would be a helpful feature, for example when switching from preview to
capture you might want to use different exposure/gain combinations. Or for
capturing multiple exposures - you could straight away get the frame you
want without waiting a couple of frames for the camera to start streaming
with the wrong values and then change.

As regards an API, we were thinking in terms of adding a "ControlList const
&controls" parameter to the Camera::start method, which would forward the
controls to the pipeline handler prior to the camera actually being
started. (We're happy to work on the feature once there's sufficient
consensus.)

Best regards

David