[libcamera-devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Porting libCamera in to RDKC

Peter Griffin peter.griffin at linaro.org
Tue Jun 30 11:58:28 CEST 2020

Hi folks,

(plus Madhavan)

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 00:48, Laurent Pinchart <
laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> Hi Khem,
>
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 11:34:59PM +0000, Raj, Khem wrote:
> > Is it specific to soc ? We can also use rpi0 as reference
>
> The overall camera stack architecture shouldn't depend on a particular
> platform, but libcamera has SoC-specific support. We do support
> Raspberry Pi platforms, but out team has only tested Raspberry Pi 3 and
> 4. I believe the Raspberry Pi 0 should be supported in theory, but if I
> recall correctly the slower ARM core may make it a bit more challenging
> in practice.
>
> That being said, enabling libcamera support for the Ambarella SoCs would
> be interesting. It would require Ambarella-specific code in libcamera,
> which in turns would require kernel drivers to be submitted to the
> linux-media mailing list for upstream.

I did a quick bit of research into current Ambrella SoC support. It is used
in quite
a few products like Nest Camera, so the GPL kernel source is available from
here for example https://nest.com/legal/compliance/.

But it is a rather ancient 2.6.38 kernel. So a fair bit of work would be
required
just to port & upstream basic SoC support, migrate to DT etc, before
starting to
look at anything camera/media related.

Starting the RDKC integration of libcamera on the RPi3/4 platform where much
of the kernel, media drivers and libcamera work already exists would be much
quicker.

at *@comcast.com guys - meet Madhavan who is also working on RDKC topics
on RPi platform. It seems it maybe worth a sync with you folks to avoid
duplicating
effort.

Thanks,

Peter.