[libcamera-devel] How to detect camera after power on the raspberryPi.

Dave Stevenson dave.stevenson at raspberrypi.com
Tue Oct 20 17:40:45 CEST 2020

Hi

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 13:59, <tetsuya.nomura at soho-enterprise.com> wrote:

> Dear Dave-san
>
> Thank you for your explanation.
> I understand what you are discussing.
>
> I'm now using DS90UB953-Q1 and DS90UB954-Q1 from TI.

There is an RFC (Request For Comments) patchset from last July for
that pair of chips at
https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/cover/20190723203723.11730-1-luca@lucaceresoli.net/
I haven't looked through the patches to see what is and isn't still
valid, but I seem to recall that the similar GMSL patches have now
been merged which worked on very similar areas for I2C address
mapping.

> I just set several register parameters on them, set the I2C configuration, set the serial speed, number of lanes and speed for MIPI.
> I just send the command by i2cset without using the driver.
> If I can configure the FPD Link III transceiver at the beginning of the boot, Maybe after configure the I2C port on MIPI port then send the I2C commands to transceiver, it will behave as if the sensor board were directly connected to Raspi CSI-2 port.
> I wonder if I can reconfigure the device tree after setting the transceiver registers to run qcam.

You could, but it's always going to be a race condition that needs to
be managed somehow. Blacklisting one or both of the imx219 and
bcm2835-unicam modules, and then manually modprobe'ing them once
you've sent your I2C commands to the FPD chips may work.

Incorporating the serialiser and deserialiser into the pipeline
removes that and is really the correct way of doing things, and the
only one you're likely to get any degree of support implementing (even
though it's the more complex solution). It should also allow for
things like power control to be utilised should the chips have lower
power modes whilst not streaming.

  Dave