[libcamera-devel] libcamera applications for Raspberry Pi

Jacopo Mondi jacopo at jmondi.org
Tue Jan 26 10:50:13 CET 2021

Hi David,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 03:03:53PM +0000, David Plowman wrote:
> Hi
>
> I thought Raspberry Pi users on this mailing list might be interested
> to know that we've published some libcamera equivalents to our
> raspistill/raspivid applications. They're not exact replacements, and
> there's still plenty to do, but there's enough stuff working that they
> may be of interest.
>
> Please refer to the announcement here:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=300160#p1803969

That's great news!

It took quite some effort from everyone involved to get to this point,
thanks again for your perseverance and the incredible amount of
improvements this brought to libcamera.

> (For non-Raspberry Pi users, it might be interesting to discover to
> what extent they work for you. They're obviously somewhat tailored
> towards the pipeline handler features that we've implemented, but the
> only brazenly Pi-specific code that comes to mind is the assumption
> that there's a V4L2 H.264 encoder on /dev/video11.)

It would be really sweet if those application could spread to other
platforms! For sure the userbase is now ~slightly~ larger than before
with these :)

Thanks again!