[libcamera-devel] Gsoc vimc multi stream support

Umang Jain email at uajain.com
Sun Mar 14 19:15:22 CET 2021

Hi Harjeet, welcome to libcamera!

On 3/14/21 10:19 AM, Harjeet Singh wrote:
> Hello folks.
> I am new to this devel thing, gsoc and open source too. I am 3rd year
> cse undergraduate student. I have experience working with linux
> drivers, would like to work on this project. Can someone help me to
> get started?
Are you able to build the code from source? There are two utility tools
you can use `cam` and `qcam` to run/test the build on your machine.

https://libcamera.org/getting-started.html

This is regarding vimc pipeline handler so I guess, a good starting
place would be to look at src/libcamera/pipeline/vimc/. For overall
libcamera architecture you can read up https://libcamera.org/docs.html
to know about major classes and componenets in-play. If you have any
questions, you can ask on this mailing list and/or hangout at #libcamera
IRC on Freenode.

Curious, do you know if you can load the vimc driver for your kernel
version?
$modprobe vimc
$ lsmod | grep vimc

If yes, then, the cam uitlity should report(on $cam --list) something like:

[3:49:19.296801428] [13126]  INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:293
libcamera v0.0.0+2034-de5d0367
Available cameras:
1: External camera 'Integrated_Webcam_HD: Integrate'
(\_SB_.PCI0.XHC_.RHUB.HS05-5:1.0-0c45:6d13)
2: Internal front camera (platform/vimc.0 Sensor B)

Let me know if you can reproduce this on your system. These would be the
very first initial steps as far as I can see. :-)