[libcamera-devel] Fwd: Surface Go VCM type (was: Need to pass acpi_enforce_resources=lax on the Surface Go (version1))

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 17:02:20 CET 2021

Hi,

On 11/9/21 13:09, Daniel Scally wrote:
> [...]
>>> to the vcm swnode, with a "endpoint 0" child below that and then have
>>> the 2 endpoints contain swref properties pointing to each other.
>>>
>>> I think that this will properly make the VCm part of the graph and
>>> will make its v4l2-subdev get instantiated when the graph is
>>> complete.  Before I spend a bunch of time on implementing this,
>>> let me ask this:
>>>
>>> Does this sound reasonable / like I'm heading in the right direction?
>> I don't think that we need to add the software nodes as
>> ports/endpoints...as far as I can tell it ought to work like this:
>>

>> 1. The sensor calls v4l2_async_register_subdev_sensor() which...
>>
>>     a) creates a notifier
>>
>>     b) looks for reference properties of the device's fwnode called
>> "lens-focus" and calls v4l2_async_notifier_add_fwnode_subdev() against
>> the reference, which tells the notifier it's connected to this other
>> fwnode and to expect it to bind.
>>
>> 2. When new subdevs are registered they get tested for a match against
>> the notifier registered in 1a that matches to their fwnode using
>> match_fwnode() [1]. This should work, on the grounds that we registered
>> the device using the board_info.swnode and registered a lens-focus
>> property that points to that software_node
>>
>> 3. When a match is found, the notifier's .bound() function is called.
>> When all the asds that the notifier expects are bound the notifier's
>> .complete() callback is called.
>>

>> That's not working correctly for me at the moment, but I think this is a
>> surmountable problem rather than the wrong approach, so I'm just working
>> through the differences to try and get the matching working.
>

> OK, I eventually got this working - the dw9719 registers as
> /dev/v4l-subdev7 for me now ... long story short is the attached patch
> was needed to make the references work, as the internals of v4l2 aren't
> checking for fwnode->secondary. Prior to your latest series as well, an
> additional problem was that once the VCMs fwnode was linked to the
> sensor's the .complete() callback for ipu3-cio2 would never call
> (because it needs ALL the devices for the linked fwnodes to be bound to
> do that)...which meant the VCMs never got instantiated, because that was
> where that function was called. With your new set separating those
> processes it works well, so yes I like that new approach very much :D
>

> In the end we don't have to add a call creating the subdev's - it turns
> out that v4l2 knows it's part of ipu3-cio2's v4l2-device so it registers
> the nodes for the vcm when .complete() is called for that driver. I
> still think we should add a bit creating the link to expose to userspace
> in match_notify() though.
>

> Trying to list controls for the dw9719 with v4l2-ctl -d /dev/v4l-subdev7
> -L fails with an IOCTL error, so I have some remedial work on the driver
> which I'll do tonight; I'd expect to be able to control focus with
> v4l2-ctl -d /dev/v4l-subdev7 -c absolute_focus=n once this is sorted.

That is great, thank you so much. I wanted to look into this myself
today but I got distracted by other stuff.

Mainly getting Windows to work (including cameras) after a fresh
Windows install on A Dell Latitude 7285 which I just got as a second
device to test IPU3 stuff on :)

Talking about this Dell Latitude 7285, I haven't had a chance to
look into this at all. But chances are I will need to do some
I2C-register dumps under Windows, last time you mentioned you
had some small tool for this ? It is ok if it is a bit hackish,
it will still be very useful to have :)  And I believe I will
also need to override the DSDT under Windows for this, right?
I should be able to cope with that too.

Regards,

Hans