[libcamera-devel] versioning

Christian Rauch Rauch.Christian at gmx.de
Sat Aug 13 23:14:44 CEST 2022

Hi all,

I am aware that the libcamera API is unstable and because of this, there
is no versioning. I am using libcamera in another project, and it would
be helpful if I could check some version constraints in order to prevent
compiling with an incompatible API.

Would you be willing to start versioning the minor or patch-level of
libcamera? I imagine that the major version will stay at "0" until the
API is stable, but that either the minor or patch-level could be
incremented (0.1, 0.2, ...) every time the API changes, or simply on a
monthly or quarterly basis.

This way, projects could check for a specific version before compiling
or search for a specific "API version". It wouldn't guarantee that the
API is compatible between versions, it's just useful to know which
version you have to use to compile a project.

Best,
Christian