[libcamera-devel] [RFC v4 1/1] ipa: ipu3: af: Auto focus for dw9719 Surface Go2 VCM

Jean-Michel Hautbois jeanmichel.hautbois at ideasonboard.com
Thu Jan 20 12:15:33 CET 2022

Hi Kate,

On 20/01/2022 12:01, Kate Hsuan wrote:
> Hi Jean-Michel,
>
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 6:46 PM Kate Hsuan <hpa at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jean-Michel,
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 8:58 PM Jean-Michel Hautbois
>> <jeanmichel.hautbois at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kate,
>>>
>>> Before I forget it again :-) could you please answer in plain-text and
>>> not HTML ;-) ?

>>> <snip>

>>> <snip>

>>> The image used for AF calculations is the BDS output one, so you should
>>> configure your grid based on this.
>>>
>>> See:
>>> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/staging/media/ipu3/ipu3-css-params.c#L2541

>>> This grid configuration is probably not what you really want :-).
>>> You are configuring a 128x128 grid, and your BDS output is (fill in the
>>> blank please :-)). So you want:
>>> x_start = (BdsOutput.width / 2 - 64),
>>> y_start = (BdsOutput.height / 2 - 64) | IPU3_UAPI_GRID_Y_START_EN,

>>> From:
>>> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform/arc-camera/+/refs/heads/master/hal/intel/include/ia_imaging/af_public.h#74
>>>
>>> "margins of 10 per horizontal direction and 2 per vertical direction" =>
>>> It means the real AF grid is using 10 pixels before your x_start, so it
>>> can't be less than 10, and 2 pixels before your y_start, so it can't be
>>> less than 2.
>>>
>>> You can obviously take it into account if you really want to, but you
>>> are trying to center the grid, so it should not be an issue.
>>>
>>> You should set height_per_slice to 1, as it is calculated by the kernel,
>>> and I would be interested by this: could it be a limitation related to:
>>> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/patch/20210916172504.677919-1-jeanmichel.hautbois@ideasonboard.com/
>>>
>>> Can you try building the kernel with this patch by any chance ?
>
> I tried the patch. It did not work.
> x_start still addressed to the incorrect location of the image
> (rightmost of the sensor) if the block size is 3.
> After some testing, if the width block size was set to 4, it seems to
> work but it made the AF scene wider.

Thanks for testing !
I think you are in this case:
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/staging/media/ipu3/ipu3-css-params.c#L2394

adding some printk() could help understand where you are exactly, and
find out the values really used by the ISP.
Setting block width to 4 means you now have a 256 pixels window in
width, so, your x_start is below (bdsOutput.width/2+10). Then you go in
the "both stripes" case I suppose. Or did you change the .width field to 8 ?