[libcamera-devel] Video recording on PinePhone Re: libcamera on pinephone

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Mon Jul 4 18:15:26 CEST 2022

Hi!

> Hey, got it working!!
>
> qcam -r gles -spixelformat=SBGGR8,width=1280,height=720 -platform xcb

Congratulations :-).

I got video recording back to work in the meantime. libcamerasrc does
not work for me, so I'm using (patched) gstreamer to do the recording.

Best I can do is

AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 0.0 kbit/0.00% (ratio: 0->176400)
VIDEO:  1267x712  30.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kB/s)

as I'm doing compression on CPU.

Code is at git at gitlab.com:tui/tui.git, cam directory, see the .diff and
cam script.

Question is how to do this properly. Ideally, I'd like megapixels-like
application, that would do viewfinder, take photos, and record videos.

qcam looks like a step in right direction, but .. it needs two streams
to be able to take photos, and we don't that capability on pinephone.

For taking photos, I see two possibilities:

a) Do the viewfinder in low resolution, then switch to high
resolution, take a photo, and switch back. Unfortunately pipeline
reconfiguration is rather slow (> 2 seconds?) on pinephone.

b) Run the chip in high resolution all the time, downscaling for
viewfinder. Should result in less shutter lag, but viewfinder will be
limited to 15 fps and will need more cpu power.

For taking videos... is there possibility to do encoding without
gstreamer? libcamerasrc does not work for me :-(. Camera seems to be
able to do JPEG natively, does it make sense to try to get that to work?

Any ideas how to proceed?

Best regards,
									Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.