[libcamera-devel] Video recording on PinePhone Re: libcamera on pinephone

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Wed Jul 6 20:07:59 CEST 2022

Hi!

> > > 2 seconds is a lot, there may be a way to reduce that, it should be
> > > investigated.
> >
> > I was optimistic. It is more like 7 seconds.
>
> In a way that's good news, it means there's even more room for
> improvement :-)

You are an optimist :-).

> > > Could the GPU be used to scale the full resolution down ?
> >
> > Probably. But I find CPUs easier to use.
>
> It's probably easier, yes, but if the CPU isn't powerful enough, then
> help from the GPU is an option that should be considered.
>
> GPUs can perform scaling pretty much for free, but they usually can't
> output YUV natively. Tricks can be done with multi-pass rendering
> though.

Thinking about that... There should be plenty of memory bandwidth and
either CPU or GPU should be able to do the job easily. After all,
camera is "only" capable of ~50MB/sec data production, and it is not
1995 any more.

Best regards,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.