[libcamera-devel] softISP for libcamera

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Wed Dec 6 16:45:21 CET 2023

Hi!

> > > Let's please not refer to "ISO" in technical discussions. The ISO 12232
> > > standard is pretty much useless, "ISO" values are only meant for
> > > marketing.
> >
> > Well, I believe "marketing ISO" is good enough to demonstrate my point
> > here :-). It is familiar "unit" to people doing photography. What
> > would you suggest as replacement?
>
> Just analog gain. There's nothing anywhere that maps a x1.0 analog gain
> to ISO 50, 100, 200 or any other value.

Exactly, and that means that ISO still has its place, right?

1/125s, ISO100, f/3.5 corresponds to known lightning conditions across
range of cameras (including film ones).

1/125s, f/3.5, a.gain 1x does not correspond to anything, unless you
know camera details.

> > Anyway "minimal possible gain" is too simple solution for many cases.
>
> That I don't dispute :-)

Ok.

> Also note that there's no reason for going lower than x1.0, even if the
> sensor supports lower values.

I'm not sure I agree here. x0.5 gain will still have a tiny bit lower
noise than x1.0, no? (Plus there's place for it if you have too much
light and can't make shorter exposure).

Best regards,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.