[libcamera-devel] softISP for libcamera

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Wed Dec 6 22:33:43 CET 2023

Hi!

> > > Just analog gain. There's nothing anywhere that maps a x1.0 analog gain
> > > to ISO 50, 100, 200 or any other value.
> >
> > Exactly, and that means that ISO still has its place, right?
> >
> > 1/125s, ISO100, f/3.5 corresponds to known lightning conditions across
> > range of cameras (including film ones).
>
> ISO 100, as a sensitivity value for digital cameras, doesn't mean
> anything. It's an arbitrary value picked by the manufacturer. For film
> cameras it could be used to compare sensitivity of films, for digital
> cameras, it's meaningless.

I don't believe so. It has same meaning as for film cameras.

If I want to take a photo of my horse on cloudy day, I'll use 1/125s,
f/3.5 on a film camera with ISO100 film inserted. And when that gets
right-exposed picture, any digital camera with 1/125s, ISO100, f/3.5
setting is expected to produce good picture, too.

It may not map easily to gain, but it is fairly useful parameter for
photographer.

Best regards,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.