[libcamera-devel] GSoC 2023

Paul Elder paul.elder at ideasonboard.com
Tue Feb 28 09:21:54 CET 2023

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 09:46:58PM +0530, Prashanth S via libcamera-devel wrote:
> Hello Kieran,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> > The project will require building kernel modules (or the whole kernel)
> > and making developments against libcamera.
> > Do you have any experience building a linux kernel? or modules? If not -
> > that's a good place to start investigating.
> I have experience building Linux kernel and dynamic modules.
>
> > For warmup tasks, see if you can get the existing developments rebased
> > and working and see if you can identify what would be next.
> >
> > See
> >  - https://patchwork.libcamera.org/project/libcamera/list/?series=1127
> > and
> > - https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media/
> 20200819180442.11630-1-kgupta at es.iitr.ac.in/
> I tried to build the libcamera source and run the qcam application. I was able
> to see the captured frames (from the integrated webcam) in the qcam application
> (which uses libcamera library build).
>
> Warmup Tasks:
> I am trying to enable vimc in the libcamera build (I have not used the meson
> build system before).
> I also tried to load the vimc module (modprobe vimc) and capture frames from
> the vimc device file (/dev/video<3/4/5>) using the default application in
> ubuntu (application name: cheese). But I got an error.

Cheese directly with vimc device nodes won't work, so that's fine.

> I will try to apply the corresponding patches to the linux kernel and
> libcamera.

The kernel shouldn't need to be patched, but you'll have to enable the
vimc module. libcamera should just work too (of course, the vimc
pipeline handler + ipa will need to be enabled).

It's multistream support that needs to be added, but getting both the
kernel and libcamera to build+run is a simple and required first step.

Paul