[libcamera-devel] Contributing to Libcamera

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Thu Jan 9 22:41:22 CET 2020

Hi Madhavan,

Thank you for the patch.

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 08:58:04PM +0530, Madhavan Krishnan wrote:
> Hi Libcamera Team,
>
> I would like to contribute to libcamera source, and please find the attached
> file, for the patch generated with my changes.
>
> Patch Detail and Purpose:
> Since we are using different build system, we are not referring the python
> module from the Host machine.
> We had configured our bindir, during the meson build.
> Even though we configured our bin directories, gen_control.py from meson.build
> being invoked by host machine python and not from our build system python.
>
> So we had added the fix in meson.build to be working with any build system.

Patch submission to libcamera follows a procedure similar to the Linux
kernel, in that patches need to be sent inline instead of attachements.
This is meant to make patch review easy, as the review can then take the
form of a reply to the original e-mail with inline comments.

This isn't explained on our website, and I apologize for that. We will
fix the problem. In the meantime, here's a summary of the recommended
procedure:

1. Make sure every commit you intend to send has a correct Signed-off-by
line. In particular the SoB line should include your real name, and I
noticed that the patch you attached to your e-mail was signed by
"madhavank27 <madhavan.krishnan at linaro.org>". I assume your name is not
"madhavank27" (if it is I apologize for this comment), and I further
assume that this is the name of your user account, leading to git using
it automatically. You can set your name in the git configuration with

$ git config --add user.name "Madhavan Krishnan"

for future commits. Existing commits need to be manually amended.

2. Generate your patch from the git tree with 'git format-patch'. If
your changes span multiple patches, you should also generate a cover
letter with the --cover-letter option to 'git format-patch', and fill
the cover letter with an overview of the changes using any text editor.

3. Send the patches to the mailing list with one patch per e-mail. Usage
of 'git send-email' is highly recommended, as it will not mangle the
patch on the mail client side, like many mail clients do by default (for
instance wrapping lines). You will have to set several options according
to your e-mail provider. For gmail, an example can be found at [2].

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
[2] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-send-email

--
Regards,