[libcamera-devel] Optional dependency seems to be required

paul.elder at ideasonboard.com paul.elder at ideasonboard.com
Fri Oct 23 07:13:48 CEST 2020

Hello Sebastian,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 06:55:37AM +0200, Sebastian Fricke wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> during the installation process of libcamera, I followed the
> instructions on: http://libcamera.org/getting-started.html .
> I noticed, I was required to install the boost library `libboost-dev`,
> while the instruction flags it as optional.

Boost is required for the raspberrypi IPA, so it's optional if you don't
need the raspberrypi pipeline. There was some discussion in separating
the two, such that you could compile the pipeline without the IPA if
boost isn't available, but we haven't progressed much with it yet.

You can configure which pipelines to build like so, enabling only the
raspberrypi and vimc pipeline handlers, for example:

meson -Dpipelines=raspberrypi,vimc build

You can do `meson configure` to list the options. Right now the
pipelines that we have are ipu3, raspberrypi, rkisp1, simple, uvcvideo,
vimc.

> My system is:
> ```
> basti at basti:~$ uname -a
> Linux basti 5.8.0-rc6 #1 SMP Wed Jul 22 10:22:11 CEST 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> ```
>
> and I am running on this distro:
>
> ```
> basti at basti:~$ lsb_release -d
> ```
>
> Does anyone else encounter this problem? Was a setting incorrect on my
> side? Should I open a patch for it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> (And thanks for the cool project)

I hope you enjoy it :)