[libcamera-devel] Can't Find Documentation

Kevan Hashemi hashemi at opensourceinstruments.com
Sat Jun 11 03:33:28 CEST 2022

Thank you Jacopo and Kieran.

On 6/10/22 9:29 AM, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> Quoting Jacopo Mondi via libcamera-devel (2022-06-10 08:38:23)
>> Hi Kevan
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 12:53:23PM -0400, Kevan Hashemi via libcamera-devel wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I go here:
>>>
>>> https://www.libcamera.org/api-html/index.html#api
>>
>> I can see the doxygen documentation of the codebase there (once I
>> enable javascript, be sure it is enabled for you too).

It turns out I do have javascript enabled. I was expecting to see a manual page, and that expectation stopped me from understanding what the site contained. Further poking around on the site reveals individual routines documented in a tree structure, and it now all makes sense.

>> There you will find the documentation of the code base, which is a
>> useful reference when developing but will not help you getting
>> started.
>
> Yes, the opening page of the Doxygen really needs some sort of an
> introduction and a 'where to go next' - but all of the public and
> internal objects are searchable.

I failed to understand the distinction between libcamera and the Raspberry Pi applications that call the libcamera routines.

>>> With Safari, Firefox, or Chrome. I get a page that is 95% white
>>> space, no sign of documentation. No instructions for how to proceed.
>>> I'm hoping to find a description of the command line options. For
>>> example, what is the range of values accepted by the "-ev" option?
>>> Right now, the only documentation I can find is from "libcamera-vid
>>> --help".
>>>

> If you are looking for documentation of command line applciations such
> as 'libcamera-vid' - those are not actually produced by the libcamera
> project. Those are owned by Raspberry Pi - and you could ask for more
> information at
>
>     https://github.com/raspberrypi/libcamera-apps

Thank you, I have cloned the repository and will start by searching the code.

> --
> Kieran
>

>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> There's a short introduction here
>> https://libcamera.org/docs.html
>>
>> but if I were you I would look into the guides in the source tree
>> https://git.libcamera.org/libcamera/libcamera.git/tree/Documentation/guides
>> (you can compile the documentation and have them in .html or .pdf
>> formats)

I'm looking through root/simple-cam.cpp. Inspiring text diagrams, lots of comments, it reads like a manual. Nice work. Thank you again.

Best Wishes, Kevan