libcamerify causes motion daemon to create zombie processes

Andrei Konovalov andrey.konovalov.ynk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 15:39:03 CEST 2024

Hi Dale,

I don't have the answers to your questions. Just some information which might help you (or not).

I have motion running for almost 4 weeks now, 711 videos have been captured (motion detection is configured to
record short videos, not to capture still images). And there are no zombie processes so far.

Hardware:
   RaspberryPi 3B board + RPi camera v1 (ov5647)
OS:
   Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32 bit, bookworm)
kernel:
   Linux version 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v7 (debian-kernel at lists.debian.org) (gcc-12 (Raspbian 12.2.0-14+rpi1) 12.2.0, GNU ld (GNU
Binutils for Raspbian) 2.40) #1 SMP Raspbian 1:6.6.20-1+rpt1 (2024-03-07)
motion:
   Version 4.5.1
the ExecStart line from the motion.service:
   ExecStart=/usr/bin/libcamerify /usr/bin/motion
the version of the installed libcamera0.2 and libcamera-tools packages:
   0.2.0+rpt20240215-1

Thanks,
Andrei